Most Common Liquor For Mixed Drinks - Popular Mixed Drinks
Everyone develops their favorite drinks. Some have a go-to beer when they're out with their buddies or a favorite wine they order during special occasions. You may also have a favorite cocktail or mixed drink. Is your favorite drink a classic, or is it less common? In either case, for every type of liquor, there are some drinks that bartenders are asked to make more often than others.
You've likely heard of these drinks before, but do you know what's in all of them? Below are the most common liquors and some popular drinks that they're used to make.
Common Gin Drinks
Gin is made from juniper berries, and a lot of different brands fall under this broad category of liquor. Here are some great drinks you make with gin:
- Martini: Some people prefer their martinis with vodka, but a classic martini is made with gin. Stir 4 oz. of gin with 1 oz. of vermouth with cracked ice, then strain into a martini glass.
- Tom Collins: This drink was created and popularized in the 1800s. To make this classic drink, chill cracked ice in a cocktail glass in the freezer. Mix 2 oz. gin, 3/4 oz. lemon juice, 1/2 oz. simple syrup and ice, then strain it into the cocktail glass.
Common Rum Drinks
You'll find rum in a lot of summertime, almost tropical-feeling drinks. These drinks are a few classic rum concoctions:
- Daiquiri: For a bit of refreshing tang, a daiquiri is a classic drink. To make this drink, shake 2 oz. white rum, 1/2 teaspoon very fine sugar and 1/2 oz. fresh lime juice with cracked ice. Strain it into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Piña Colada: The piña colada is the perfect drink to have in hand while you're sitting on the beach. To make a blended piña colada, add 1 cup of crushed ice, 1 oz. coconut cream, 2 oz. white rum and 3 oz. pineapple juice to a blender. Run it until everything is combined.
Common Whiskey Drinks
Whiskey has a unique taste that isn't for everyone. But, if you enjoy a good Scotch or bourbon, there are a lot of whiskey-based drinks out there, like these:
- Old Fashioned: As far as classic drinks go, the Old Fashioned is as classic as they come. Put a half teaspoon sugar in an Old Fashioned glass. Add 3 dashes of bitters and a splash of club soda. Put in a big ice cube and 2 oz. whiskey, then stir.
- Whiskey Sour: This drink is a great pick to cleanse your palate before a meal. Bourbon is the best type of whiskey for this drink. To make one yourself, mix 2 oz. bourbon, 2/3 oz. lemon juice and 1 teaspoon very fine sugar with cracked ice and shake well. Strain it into a chilled cocktail glass.
Common Vodka Drinks
Vodka is one of the most versatile and common liquors because it comes in a variety of different flavors. Here are a couple of classic vodka cocktails:
- Cosmopolitan: To make this fruity drink, shake 1 1/2 oz. vodka, 1/4 oz. lime juice, 1/4 oz. triple sec and 1/4 oz. cranberry juice with cracked ice. Strain it into a chilled cocktail glass.
- White Russian: If you're craving a creamy drink, try the White Russian. Combine 2 oz. vodka and 1 oz. coffee liqueur (like Kahlua) in an Old Fashioned glass. Top it with a generous splash of heavy cream. It should be served on the rocks.
Whatever your drink order is, whether you stick to your favorite or want to try one of these classic drinks, you can find something delicious to sip on at Forklift & Palate.
Learn More About Food & Alcoholic BeveragesBest Food To Pair With A Beer
How To Order A Cocktail
How To Improve Your Beer Drinking Experience
How To Pair Wine With Food
The Most Popular Types Of Wine